Monday, January 16, 2012

This is the edelweiss

Since we’re about half way through January I thought I better get this out before it’s too late.

You know that thing I said I'd do?  Yeah, well, I just wanted to let you know that even though it sounds like a big fat shining New Year’s resolution, it isn’t one.  Not really.

I know, I know.  You’re thinking, “What the heck is she talking about?  Her blog is called This is the year.  Her first blog entry is about how this year she’s made a pact to finish writing a trilogy.  And she published her first blog post on New Year's Day.  It's a resolution in neon lights!” 

Okay, so you're right.  But I didn’t plan it like that.

What I planned was to begin a blog when we moved to LA.  I knew making my writing journey somewhat public would bring another level of accountability to finishing my writing projects, and when we moved I knew I would be putting writing first.  Something about not having a full time job anymore and being so ridiculously far away from most people I know kind of sealed that deal.  Plus, aspiring authors/authors need to be on the Internet these days anyway.  Don't take my word for it, take his. 

But it wasn’t until I was getting ready to leave for India in November that I decided to call this blog This is the year.  I wanted to call it that not only because this is the year I would be putting writing first, but because I hope that every year, from now on, I’ll be blogging about writing (and hopefully a writing career!) as mine makes like edelweiss, blooming and growing, blooming and growing.  

Then, it wasn't until I got to India, and I was on that roof, that I thought if I'm going to be putting writing first, if I'm going to be dedicating so much time, then I better step up my game.

So in other words, what I'm really trying to say here is that this year, it’s not going to be the only one.  Because this blog isn't just about one year, one resolution.  It’s about evolution.  On Jan 17th, 2012, I’m just letting you know where in that evolution I am.

Next up is this. 



I’ll be reading it for the first time straight through tomorrow. 
I’ll be sure to let you know how that goes…

And finally, Happy Birthday Mom!  Love you!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment