Thursday, August 8, 2013

Out of a valley

So there may be a few of you out there that still happen by this blog. Or maybe not? Either way here I am again. I always swore I'd never be one of those bloggers that just disappears and now I've gone and done it.  This isn't even my first hiatus!

Sure, life's been crazy.  Sure, we've been thrown a few curve balls, but I feel in my gut that the valley Tom and I were navigating through this summer is finally starting to build it's way up to a peak.

Three weeks ago yesterday Tom and I found ourselves back at the hospital.


This is us.  And for the record I wouldn't usually post a picture of myself where I looked this horrible but I thought it would be nice to give you an idea of what we looked like as Tom wheeled me around the hospital in his neck brace.

It wasn't a serious injury (thank goodness).  I was walking to the sofa from the kitchen with a jar of tzatziki in my hand about to have dinner in front of the TV when I stubbed my toe on an ottoman.  I knew right away I had broken it.  Both Tom and I did.  The sound of bone breaking is easy to pinpoint.
Plus all of a sudden my left foot looked like it was giving a Vulcan greeting.

So there you have it.  Since then I've been hobbling down the streets of LA with my dear husband in a neck brace.  At the hospital everyone thought we'd been in accident together.  Oh no.  That would just make too much sense (and really I thank my lucky stars we weren't in an accident together).  Honestly I couldn't stop laughing the entire time we were at the hospital (except when they had to stick needles in my foot to freeze the toe so they could set it back in place — OUCH!!).

Luckily enough though my toe has been healing quickly and in a week or two I should be able to get back to regular activity (yoga has been difficult as you can imagine).

Best of all, Tom just returned back from the doctor and the Doc has said that Tom should be out of the neck brace and back to work by the end of the month!  So there is an end in sight!

It's been a trying time.  I think mentally there were some moments when either Tom or I felt like we were loosing it.  But what saved us was laughter (when we could find it) and enjoying our time cooped up together in our LA apartment without any family to visit or very little friends.

In all this time I have been rewriting my first book.  And it's been going well.  Then, my dear, talented-author- aunt, Carolyn Abraham came out here with her kids for a holiday so we've been hanging with them the past week or so and it's been great to catch up with them and hang out while we get through this last stretch of healing.

Carolyn has also been going over her notes with me on the draft that she read and I've been getting LOTS of great feedback and I couldn't be happier.

So you see...even through a broken neck and a broken toe, being miles away from most of our loved ones and still trying to carve out a dream or two for ourselves, it hasn't been all bad.

I'm so grateful for the lessons this last little while has taught us and it's because of what we've been through that I am now looking to the future with so much optimism, so much excitement, so much gratitude and most of all with pure love — for the way the universe works, for the people in it and for this grand old journey we call life.

Sending big love.  Big, big love to you all. xoxo 

1 comment:

  1. What do they say "darkest right before the dawn". Lots of love. xoxo

    ReplyDelete